Sunday, June 29, 2014

Philippines

When I was ten weeks old my parents moved to the Philippines. We lived there for over two years. My brother Joel was born there. I of course have no memory of this but my parents have talked about the Philippines for as long as I can remember.

Well, while my parents were on this side of the world, Niel and I decided we should make a trip to the Philippines with them and visit the city of Davao in the southern Philippines where they used to live. I am glad we did. It was a pretty remarkable couple of days. The pictures that we have don't even scratched the surface of the things we saw and experienced.



 We walked all over to find a place that made this raw tuna dish that my mom remembered eating. The place was a shack but the tuna was fresh.

 China Town

 The house we used to live in. My Dad knocked on the door to see if he could look inside but the lady who answered did not speak English.

 Standing in front of the gate to the house. The house has been updated but the gate is the same.

 Chicken on a stick. Yummmm!!!

 The Bible Institute my parents used to teach at. It was so fun to visit here. People remembered my parents and they remembered me as a little girl. I think this was my favorite place to visit.

 I used to play with Joy as a little girl. Fun to meet up again 30 some years later. She now works at the Bible School. 

 My mom is standing with Nelrose. She graciously drove us around one of the days we were there. My Dad used to travel all over the island preaching with her Father. (He is no longer alive.) My dad said her Father was like a mentor to him and taught him a lot about ministry as my parents were only 22 when they arrived in the Philippines.

  On the highway back from the Bible School, we had to stop to let the sheep cross the road.

The four of us at an interesting restaurant on our last night in Davao.

We also visited the hospital my brother was born in and I was hospitalized in due to Dengue Fever when I was two. We saw the outside of an apartment building we lived in when we first moved there and went to the market my mom used to buy our food at.

It was a memorable trip. I am so happy we were able to go back with my parents.

No comments:

Post a Comment